00977-1-4250117

Bardiya National Park

Bardia National Park that occupies 968 sq km of area is situated in the mid-far western Terai and bordered by the Karnali River is a protected area in Nepal that was established in 1988 as Royal Bardia National Park.  It is the largest and most undisturbed expanse of wilderness in southern low land of Nepal, but it is least visited by the tourists. Its northern limits are demarcated by the crest of the Siwalik Hills. Natural boundaries to human settlements are formed in the west by the Geruwa, a branch of the Karnali River, in the southeast by the Babai River and on the north by the Churia Hills. Nearly 70% of the park is occupied by the evergreen sal forest; the remaining 30% is a combination of plain pastures, savannah and riverine forest. The park contains eight types of ecosystems. The park headquarter is situated at Thakurdwara (also the location of Forest Hideaway) and is enclosed by idyllic villages and fields inhabited by an aboriginal tribe, the ‘Tharu’.

The Himalayan Vacation Treks and Expedition would like to arrange a package trip to BNP for the adventure loving clients. BNP is the place where probabilities of spotting a Bengal tiger in Nepal are the highest. We also may come in encounter of the other animals like leopards, wild cats, the rhinoceros, swamp deer, blue cows and bulls, sloth bear, languors, barking deer, and jackals. The wild elephants are not in great number in the park but some of the males are considered the largest ones in Asia. The park also has reptiles like cobras, kraits and pythons. The park possesses more than 250 species of birds, including the endangered Bengal florica, Sarus crane and many species of parakeet, geese and duck. The Geruwa River that rushes through a break in the hill range is the favourite home of the famous masher game fish, freshwater Gangetic dolphins, Gharial and marsh Magar crocodiles. Since the Park is providing a home habitat for many species, it also provides an ideal environment for the study of wildlife. The WWF and the Nature Conservation Trust are on the go in the park observing wildlife and breeding habitats. They have also implemented an educational scheme for local people highlighting the importance of, and need for conservation. Formerly famous as a hunting reserve, BNP became a conservation area in 1976 and then achieved status of National Park in 1988.

Submit your review
1
2
3
4
5
Submit
     
Cancel

Create your own review

Average rating:  
 0 reviews